In a week that has seen mass climate emergency protests from students and adults alike, concern for the environment, and or natural resources is at an all time high. And you probably already consider recycling to be one of the easiest things you can do, to do your bit for the environment. But have you considered working with a professional scrap metal company to legally, safely and responsibly dispose of your larger waste items. Here at X-Met Metals, we will come to you, wherever you are, and collect a range of scrap including ferrous and non-ferrous metals, old combination boilers and WEEE waste. We operate across the North West, including Skelmersdale, Blackburn, Chorley, Ormskirk and Liverpool, and everywhere in between, to deliver a high quality service. This includes collecting, and paying for, lead acid batteries. So what are lead acid batteries, and how are these recycled?
Lead acid batteries
Lead acid batteries are rechargeable batteries that are lower cost, and capable of high surge currents. This makes them a popular choice for:
- cars and vehicles
- electric vehicles like mobility scooters and electric bikes
- submarines including emergency power for nuclear submarines
- children’s sit and ride toys
Recycling lead acid batteries
Recycling lead acid batteries is a great choice for the environment for two reasons. Firstly, a recycled battery wont leak chemicals into the environment and cause ecological problems. And secondly, because lead acid batteries are recycled so successfully, many of the new lead batteries are produced from recycled old ones. This reduced carbon emissions and ecological damage from further mining and lead production.
How does the recycling process work?
Every part of a lead acid battery can be recycled. This includes:
- Plastic casing- this is sent to a plastic facility where it is melted down and recast as new battery casing
- Lead- Lead grids, lead oxide and other lead parts are cleaned and heated within smelting furnaces. While this is molten, the impurities will float to the top and can be cleaned off, allowing the lead to be reused again, for more lead acid batteries
- Sulfuric acid- the sulfuric acid used in lead batteries can be neutralized and treated as waste water, or be converted to sodium sulfate and be used in laundry detergent, glass and textile manufacturing.
Why should you choose X-Met Metals?
So, if you have lead acid batteries that you’d like to recycle, why should you choose us? Well, here at X-Met, we offer a range of unique benefits, including:
- Unique collection service- we will come to you, and collect any scrap or waste item, including lead acid batteries, so you don’t need to find time to travel to the scrap yard.
- We pay on the spot- we will weigh your materials on the spot, and pay you fairly for them.
- We cover the whole North West- we cover a wide range of locations across the North West, so just get in touch to arrange a collection that suits you.
For professional, reliable, scrap metal solutions, get in touch with the team today, here at X-Met Metals.